The American Horse Council seeks to hire experienced government relations professional for the position of Government Affairs Liaison. Inquiries/Resumes should be submitted by October 7, 2021 to AHC President, Julie Broadway at firstname.lastname@example.org
Position title: Government Affairs Liaison
Reporting to: American Horse Council (AHC) President
Job Description and Core Responsibilities:
- Oversee the public policy, government relations and advocacy functions of the AHC.
- Oversee the development and implementation of an effective government relations agenda & strategy to advance AHC’s policy priorities through legislative and regulatory initiatives.
Develop plans to execute, track, and manage that strategy.
- Serve as a primary contact for Members of Congress, Congressional staff and federal agencies
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with key policymakers in Congress and the federal agencies.
- Represent the AHC at governmental and legislative forums, hearings, coalition meetings and similar initiatives.
- Maintain an understanding of and keep current with all federal legislative and regulatory developments that impact the horse industry.
- Development materials and analyses that clearly and accurately convey federal legislative and regulatory developments for members of the AHC and horse industry stakeholders through use of Muster (Washington Updates, Action Alerts, etc.). Compilation of information for Tax Bulletin, Tax Fliers, Congressional Scorecard. Contribute to AHC Newsletter and other communications
- Direct AHC grassroots and advocacy campaigns, including oversight of annual congressional ride in and youth ride in. Develop plans to execute and track successes of ride in’s.
- Ensure compliance with federal lobbying disclosure requirements (FERC) and laws. Compliance with all federal campaign contribution laws and disclosures.
- Build and maintain coalition relationships with industries and associations with shared interests. Coalition liaison with groups such as Economic Business Coalition (EBC), H2B, H2A, Tax Ag’s, Outdoor Recreation Roundtable(ORR), Coalition Recreation Trails (CRT), Sports Coalition, etc.
- Manage and communicate with AHC advisory committees.
- BS in political science (advanced degree in law, public policy or relevant field a plus)
- 3-5+ years’ experience in government affairs, public policy or issue advocacy
- Solid knowledge of federal legislative process
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated persuasive advocacy and negotiation skills and judgement
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners to achieve results
- Willingness to travel up to 10% of the time
The position is based at AHC Office located in Washington DC; some telecommuting allowed. Competitive salary and benefits package.