ELD, CDL and Transport Issues

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

As a results of a meeting the AHC had with the Department of Transportation, the FMCSA has updated information on their website as it relates to the agriculture industry and exemptions for them, as well as non-business related transportation of horses:




State Department of Transportation

Commercial Drivers License (CDL) requirements vary from state to state, which can be confusing to the recreational horse hauler. The AHC recommends contacting your state Department of Transportation for questions specific to your state and their CDL requirements. To view a list of state contacts, please click here: https://cvsa.org/contactpage/contacts/law-enforcement-lead-agency-contacts/

ELD and CDL Brochures

With the introduction of the Electronic Logging Device (ELD) Mandate in December 2017, other issues were brought to light that were of concern to the equine industry- most notably the Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) requirements. In an effort to help provide some clarity to the ELD Mandate and CDL requirements, the AHC has put together two brochures to help provide insight into this already complex issue.

ELD Mandate Brochure (click the image to view)

CDL Brochure (click image to view)